Creating a new DS-5 debug configuration for an FVP connection
This procedure describes how to create a new debug configuration in DS-5. You can use the debug configuration to connect and run your application on an FVP model or on a hardware target.
- From the DS-5 main menu, select Run > Debug Configurations.
- In the left-hand panel of the Debug Configurations dialog, select
Figure 4-6 Create a new debug configuration
- Click the New button to create a new DS-5 Debugger launch configuration. This displays the various tabs required to specify settings for loading your application on the target.
- Give a name to the debug configuration. For example,
In the Connection tab,
select ARM FVP (Installed with DS-5) > ARMv8-Ax1 Foundation Platform > Bare-Metal Debug > Debug ARMv8-A.
Figure 4-7 Select an FVP model to connect to
Tip:You can enter a filter name, for example sve in the Filter Platforms field to help find the target you want to connect to.
NoteIf you are connecting to a SVE enabled FVP model, ensure that the Model parameters field at the bottom of the debug configurations dialog is set to
--plugin DS5://sw/models/bin/ScalableVectorExtension.so -C bp.secure_memory=false.
- Select the Files tab, and under for the Application on host to download field, click Workspace. This displays all the projects in your current workspace.
- Select your project, which you have built earlier, and within it, select the
image you want to load, for example
hello_world.axf. Then click OK.
Figure 4-8 Specify the application to load
- Select the Debugger tab, and then select the Debug from
symbol option. Set the symbol to
Figure 4-9 Specify the debug symbol
- Click Debug to connect and load the application on the FVP model. This launches the FVP model and also loads the debug information into the debugger. DS-5 also displays the connection status in the Debug Control view.
- If a Confirm Perspective Switch dialog appears, click Yes.
- The application stops at the
main()function and is ready to run or debug.
Figure 4-10 Debug Control view
- Click the Continue button to continue running the application. You can view the application output in the Target Console view.