About Writing operating system awareness for DS-5 Debugger
DS-5 Debugger offers an Application Programming Interface (API) for third parties to contribute awareness for their operating systems (OS).
The OS awareness extends the debugger to provide a representation of the OS threads - or tasks - and other relevant data structures, typically semaphores, mutexes, or queues.
Thread-awareness, in particular, enables the following features in the debugger:
- Setting breakpoints for a particular thread, or a group of threads.
- Displaying the call stack for a specific thread.
- For any given thread, inspecting local variables and register values at a selected stack frame.
To illustrate different stages of the implementation, this chapter explains how to add support
for a fictional OS named
The steps can be summarized as follows:
- Create a new configuration database folder to host the OS awareness extension and add it to the DS-5 Debugger preferences in Eclipse.
- Create the files extension.xml and messages.properties so that the extension appears on the OS Awareness tab in the Debug configuration dialog.
- Add provider.py and implement the awareness enablement logic.
- Add contexts.py and implement the thread awareness.
- Add tasks.py to contribute a table to the RTOS Data view, showing detailed information about tasks.