Working with watchpoints
Watchpoints can be used to stop your target when a specific memory address is accessed by your program.
To set a watchpoint:
- If monitoring a global variable, in the Variables view, right-click on a data symbol and select Toggle Watchpoint to display the Add Watchpoint dialog.
- If monitoring a memory address, in the Disassembly view, right-click on a memory address and select Toggle Watchpoint to display the Add Watchpoint dialog.
Figure 3-3 Setting a data watchpoint on a data symbol
Select the required Access
You can choose:
- Read- To stop the target when a read access occurs.
- Write- To stop the target when a write access occurs.
- Access- To stop the target when either a read or write access occurs.
If you want to enable the watchpoint when it is created, select
NoteThe default is enabled, but if a conditional watchpoint exists, the watchpoint is created disabled. Only one watchpoint can be enabled if a conditional watchpoint exists.
Specify the width to watch at the given address, in bits.
Accepted values are: 8, 16, 32, and 64 if supported by the target.
This parameter is optional. The width defaults to:
- 32 bits for an address.
- The width corresponding to the type of the symbol or expression, if entered.
Expand Stop Condition
and in the Expression field,
enter a C-style expression. For example, if your application code has a variable
x, then you can specify: x == 10. If no expression is specified, then the breakpoint or watchpoint condition is deleted.
Click OK to apply your selection.
If you created a watchpoint to monitor a global variable, you can view it in the Variables view. If you created a watchpoint to monitor a memory address, you can view it in the Memory view.
Also, you can view all watchpoints and breakpoints in your application in the Breakpoints view.
- To delete a watchpoint, right-click a watchpoint and either select Remove Watchpoint or select Toggle Watchpoint.
To disable a watchpoint, right-click a watchpoint and select Disable Watchpoint to temporarily disable it. To re-enable it, select Enable Watchpoint.