Create debug configuration and connect to the target
Create a debug hardware connection to your target to download, execute, debug your application, and capture trace.
After customizing the configuration usecase script for your target, create a debug hardware connection and connect to your hardware.
NoteThe following steps use the Renesas R-Car H3 target as an example, but demonstrates the general concept. Refer to your target SoC documentation for any specific values required by your target.
- Ensure that you have customized your configuration usecase script for your specific target.
- Ensure that your target is connected correctly to the DSTREAM-HT unit.
- Ensure that your target is powered on. Refer to the documentation supplied with the target for more information.
- Ensure that the debug hardware probe connecting your target to your workstation is powered on and working.
- From the Arm® Development Studio main menu, select File > New > Hardware Connection.
In the Hardware Connection dialog, specify the details of the connection:
- In Debug Connection give the debug connection a name, for example my_hsstp_connection and click Next.
- In Target Selection select a target, for example Renesas > R-Car H3 and click Finish. This completes the initial connection configuration and opens the Edit Configuration dialog.
To specify the target and connection settings, in the Edit Configuration dialog:
- Select the Connection tab.
- In the Select target panel confirm the target that is selected.
- In the Target Connection list, select DSTREAM Family.
- In the Connections area, enter the Connection name or IP address of your debug hardware adapter. If your connection is local, click Browse and select the connection using the Connection Browser.
- In DSTL Options, click Edit to display the Debug and Trace Services Layer (DTSL) Configuration for DSTREAM-HT dialog.
In the Trace Capture tab, set the Trace capture method as DSTREAM-HT 8GB Trace Buffer
Figure 14-50 Edit the DTSL settings
- Select the other trace settings you require.
- Click OK to close the dialog and return to the Edit Configuration dialog.
Click the Files tab to specify your application and additional resources to download to the target:
- To load your application on the target at connection time, in the Target Configuration area, specify your application in the Application on host to download field.
- To debug your application at source level, select Load symbols.
- To load additional resources, for example, additional symbols or peripheral description files from a directory, add them in the Files area. Click + to add resources, click - to remove resources.
Use the Debugger tab to configure debugger settings.
In the Run control area:
- Specify if you want to Connect only to the target or Debug from entry point. If you want to start debugging from a specific symbol, select Debug from symbol.
- To run target or debugger initialization scripts, select the relevant options and specify the script paths.
- To specify at debugger start up, select Execute debugger commands options and specify the commands.
- The debugger uses your workspace as the default working directory on the host. To change the default location, deselect the Use default option under Host working directory and specify the new location.
- In the Paths area, specify any directories on the host that contain your application files in the Source search directory field.
- To use additional resources, click Add resource (+) to add resources. Click Remove resources (-) to remove resources.
- In the Run control area:
[Optional] Use the Arguments tab to enter arguments that are passed to the
main()function of the application when the debug session starts. The debugger uses semihosting to pass arguments to
- [Optional] Use the Environment tab to create and configure environment variables to pass into the launch configuration when it is executed.
- Click Apply and then Debug to connect to the target and start debugging session.
The trace is now setup for the HSSTP target. You can view the trace output in the Trace view.
Figure 14-51 Trace view HSSTP output
If your target requires additional setup, make changes to the
hsstp_usecase.py in the Scripts view and run the
default component of the script.