Cortex®-M3 DesignStart™ FPGA-Xilinx edition package
An example system design is provided to target a low-cost development platform, with example integration tests.
The Cortex®-M3 DesignStart™ FPGA-Xilinx edition package includes:
- A Cortex-M3 processor that has:
- A Nested Vectored Interrupt Controller (NVIC) that supports up to 240 interrupts, each with up to 256 levels of priority that can be changed dynamically.
- Configurable endianness, only little-endian is supported in the example system.
- Configurable embedded debug support.
- Instruction Tightly Coupled Memory (ITCM), up to 1MB.
- Data Tightly Coupled Memory (DTCM), up to 1MB.
- ITCM Alias support.
- Serial Wire (SW), JTAG, or combined SWJ-DP debug port.
- Integrated AHB to AXI bridges, which allow the packaged Cortex-M3 processor to connect directly to standard Vivado components.
- Optional Embedded Trace Macrocell (ETM) for instruction trace, Data Watchpoint and Trace (DWT) and Instrumentation Trace Macrocell (ITM), coupled with a Trace Port Interface Unit (TPIU) with four pins.
- Optional V2C-DAPLink board support, which:
- Provides Cortex‑M debug flow.
- V2C-DAPLink USB to the Serial Wire Debug (SWD) interface.
- V2C-DAPLink USB UART endpoint.
- Local Quad Serial Peripheral Interface (QSPI), flash for code download (8MB) independent of FPGA image.
- User accessible microSD card support.
- Pass-through connections for shield adapter boards.
- Example designs for Arty Artix 7 (A7) 35T development boards.
- Integrates the processor with standard Xilinx peripherals.
- Example software tests.
- Cortex Microcontroller Software Interface Standard (CMSIS) compatible Board Support Package (BSP) generation that is done through Xilinx Vivado Software Development Kit (SDK).
- Support for simulation and FPGA implementation. The encrypted design can be:
- Simulated in the Xilinx Vivado and Mentor QuestaSim simulators.
- Implemented for FPGA in Xilinx Vivado.
The Cortex-M3 DesignStart FPGA-Xilinx edition package:
- Can be used with any suitable Xilinx FPGA, but the example system design only supports one specific development board. You require version 2018.2 or later of the Xilinx Vivado tool.
- Targets Windows development environment and uses Arm Keil Microcontroller Development Kit (MDK) for software development.
To use the example system designs, you require:
- A Digilent Arty A7 development board or a supported Xilinx FPGA.
- The board files provided by Digilent for this board or support files for any board that you use.
- Xilinx Vivado.
- Arm Keil MDK or a Cortex‑M compatible toolchain.