Loading the flash file
A flash file is provided that you can use to program the Arty board with the example design and a simple test program. This flash file can be used to demonstrate correct connection, programming, and operation of the Arty Artix 7 (A7) board. The non-volatile flash image is used to load the FPGA on board powerup, and also when Prog is pressed.
NoteThe board is provided with a Digilent example design. Programming the flash overwrites this design.
In these instructions, V: is used to refer to the package install directory.
The flash file includes a software image that is preloaded into Instruction Tightly Coupled Memory (ITCM).
To load the pre-built flash file:
- Open Vivado.
On the splash screen, select Open Project, and select
- Connect the Arty board using the micro-USB connection, not the V2C-DAPLink connector.
- Connect a terminal application (for example, TeraTerm) to the USB UART port. This is automatically created when Arty A7 board is connected.
- Set the terminal to: Baud rate 115,200 8 bits One stop No parity .
- Open the Hardware manager, and select Open Target. Select Auto Connect.
- Right-click on the Digilent A7 board's xc7A35t, and select Add configuration memory device.
mt25ql128-spi-x1_x2_x4. Select OK. The following figure shows the resultant hardware tab in Vivado.
Figure 4-2 Arty A7 board hardware tab in Vivado
- In the Do you want to program the configuration device now prompt, click OK.
V:/hardware/m3_for_arty_a7/m3_for_arty_a7/m3_for_arty_a7_reference.mcsfor the configuration file.
- Click OK to program the flash.