The ARM Compiler Qualification Kit provides vital usage instructions along with important data-driven reports that can be used as evidence for justifying toolchain selection irrespective of the safety standard targeted. It contains the safety manual, development process document, defect report and the test report.
The Safety Manual plays an important role, informing users how to set up and operate the components of the ARM Compiler toolchain to minimize the chance of undetected safety-related faults.
- Description of the high level safety-related faults that can be generated.
- Description of the communication between the tools, which shows how faults might propagate.
- Mitigation strategies that can be followed to prevent or work-around faults.
- Identification of specific behavior of toolchain components that can be unsafe if used incorrectly.
Development Process Document
It is often impractical to travel to the vendor's site to gain an insight into the development of a toolchain. The Development Process document provides insight into the internal software development process used to produce the compilation toolchain. The Development Process document outlines the following:
- Procedures for requirements and defect management
- Procedures for configuration management
- Traceability between source code commits and defects or requirements
- Testing strategy and validation procedures
- Release management procedures
The Test Report provides C language conformance test results, demonstrating that the compiler generates correct output based on ISO C90 and C99 C language conformant input. The Test Report contains:
- C conformance test results
- Description of the environment and compiler settings used to generate the test results
- Explanation of any deviations from a 100% pass-rate
Users don’t generally have visibility of vendor-detected defects due to internal testing or of defects reported by other users of the product. The Defect Report contains a listing of all known safety-related defects found through internal testing and from external defect reports. The Defect Report contains:
- A description of each issue
- Conditions necessary for the issue to appear
- Example code for reproducing the issue
- How to avoid the issue