Functional Safety Support and Extended Maintenance
Projects requiring safety certification have distinct requirements for development tools. Compiler Qualification Kit and Extended Maintenance are provided for the ARM Compiler 5 to support your safety critical application development.
The ARM Compiler 5 is certified by TÜV SÜD, confirming that it fulfills the requirements for development tools classified T3 according to IEC 61508-3. This enables you to apply the ARM Compiler 5 for safety- related development up to SIL3 (IEC 61508) or ASILD (ISO 26262) without further qualification activities when following the recommendations and conditions documented in the Compiler Qualification Kit.
AvailabilityThe Compiler Qualification Kit is included with DS-5 Ultimate Edition and Keil MDK Professional and customers with a valid support and maintenance have access to the Extended Maintenance.
Compiler Qualification Kit
The Compiler Qualification Kit contains Safety Manual, Development Process Document, Test Report, and Defect Report:
The Safety Manual plays an important role, informing users how to set up and operate the toolchain components of the ARM Compiler toolchain to minimize the chance of undetected safety-related faults.
- Description of the high level safety-related faults that the components of ARM Compiler can generate.
- Description of the communication between the tools, which shows how faults might propagate.
- Mitigation strategies that can be followed to prevent or work-around faults.
- Identification of specific behavior of toolchain components of ARM Compiler that can be unsafe if used incorrectly.
Development Process Document
It is often impractical to travel to the vendor's site to gain an insight into the development of a toolchain. The Development Process document provides insight into the internal software development process used to produce the compilation toolchain. The Development Process document outlines the following:
- Procedures for requirements and defect management
- Procedures for configuration management
- Traceability between source code commits and defects or requirements
- Testing strategy and validation procedures
- Release management procedures
The Test Report provides C language conformance test results, demonstrating that the compiler generates correct output based on ISO C90 and C99 C language conformant input. The Test Report contains:
- C conformance test results
- Description of the environment and compiler settings used to generate the test results
- Explanation of any deviations from a 100% pass-rate
Users don’t generally have visibility of vendor-detected defects due to internal testing or of defects reported by other users of the product. The Defect Report contains a listing of all known safety-related defects found through internal testing and from external defect reports. The Defect Report contains:
- A description of each issue
- Conditions necessary for the issue to appear
- Example code for reproducing the issue
- How to avoid the issue
ARM Compiler Extended MaintenanceThe ARM Compiler 5 is an efficient, robust, and mature compiler that has been used in thousands of projects. The ARM Compiler 5 is under long-term Extended Maintenance giving you the confidence that it is professionally maintained and critical defects are solved.
Customers with valid Support and Maintenance have access to:
- Bug fixes only, no new features – maximizing stability
- Testing of newly found defects against the EM branch, ensuring that latent defects are driven out of the release branch
- Quarterly release cycle for fast turnaround
- Report of all issues resolved in each release
- Report of any critical known issues outstanding