ARM DS-5 Development Studio System Requirements
The following system specification is required to install and run ARM DS-5 Development Studio version 5.26. For the requirements in earlier versions, please refer to the release notes and changelog.
DS-5 System Requirements
|Processor||Dual core 2 GHz processor (or equivalent)|
|Memory||4 GB of RAM (>4 GB of RAM recommended)*|
|Free Hard Disk Space||~3 GB|
*4 GB or more of RAM is recommended to improve performance when debugging large images, or when using the simulation models.
Host Operating System Requirements
DS-5 is supported on the following host operating systems and service packs:
|Windows 10 Professional, 64 bit|
|Windows 10 Enterprise, 64 bit
|Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1|
|Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Workstation (64-bit only)|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Workstation (64-bit only)|
|Ubuntu Desktop Edition 12.04 LTS (64-bit only)|
|Ubuntu Desktop Edition 14.04 LTS (64-bit only)|
In addition, ARM Compiler toolchains are supported on the following host platforms:
|Windows 8.1, 64-bit (ARM Compiler 5 and 6 toolchains only)|
|Windows 10, 64-bit (ARM Compiler 6 toolchain only)|
|Windows Server 2012, 64-bit (ARM Compiler 5 and 6 toolchains only)|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Workstation, 64-bit (ARM Compiler 6 toolchain only)|
- Support for 32-bit host platforms will be removed in DS-5 v5.27. DS-5 Ultimate Edition is supported on 64-bit host platforms only.
- The 64-bit installation package of DS-5 includes ARM Compiler 6. For 32-bit installations of DS-5, download ARM Compiler 6 from the ARM Compiler download page and add it as a new toolchain to DS-5.
Debug System Requirements
Linux application debug requires
gdbserver on your target. The recommended
gdbserver is 7.0 or later. DS-5 Debugger is unable to provide
reliable multi-threaded debug support with
gdbserver versions prior to
Linux application rewind requires
undodb-server on your target. DS-5
undodb-server to the target for you in the Download
and Debug connection type, but for all other connection types, you must
copy it yourself. The
undodb-server binary is located in the
DS-5_install_directory\arm\undodb\linux directory within your
DS-5 support for Linux application debug depends on infrastructure and features that are introduced in specific kernel versions:
- DS-5 Debugger supports debugging ARM Linux kernel versions 2.6.28 and later.
- Application debug on SMP systems requires ARM Linux kernel version 2.6.36 or later.
- Access to VFP and NEON registers requires ARM Linux kernel version 2.6.30 or later
gdbserverversion 7.0 or later.
- ARM Streamline Performance Analyzer supports ARM Linux kernel versions 3.4 and later.
Additional tools for Linux kernel and bare-metal hardware debugging
ARM Linux kernel and bare-metal debugging require the use of additional tools (not supplied with DS-5) to connect to your target system. DSTREAM, RVI, ULINKpro and ULINKpro D debug units allow connection to physical hardware targets. VSTREAM allows connection to RTL simulators and hardware emulators. ARMv8 bare-metal debugging is only supported when using DSTREAM and VSTREAM with a DS-5 Ultimate Edition license.
Managing firmware updates
The minimum supported firmware version for DSTREAM, RVI, and VSTREAM is 4.29.0.
- For DSTREAM and RVI it is recommended to use the supplied debug hardware update tool
to check the firmware and update it if necessary. Updated firmware is available in
- For ULINK2 target connection probe to work with DS-5 Debugger, it must be upgraded
with CMSIS-DAP compatible firmware. The
UL2_Upgrade.exeprogram (Windows only) can upgrade your ULINK2 unit for you. The program and instructions are available in the
- For ULINKpro and ULINKpro D, DS-5 manages the firmware.