Adaptive Scalable Texture Compression (ASTC) is an advanced lossy texture compression technology developed by Arm and AMD.
This guide provides information about how you can use ASTC effectively to optimize the performance of your apps. In particular, this guide covers the following subjects:
- What is ASTC and why is it needed?
- Technical details of the ASTC compression algorithm
- How to use tools like Arm ASTC Encoder (astcenc) and Arm Mali Texture Compression Tool to compress game assets
- How to use ASTC with graphics APIs like OpenGL ES and Vulkan
- How to use ASTC with the Unity and Unreal Engine gaming engines
At the end of this guide, you can check your knowledge. You will have learned about the best practices for using ASTC, including the key decisions you must take.